Nov 10, 2008

High School

Today I received an email meme from a friend. It was all about high school. It got me thinking about things I haven't thought about in a very long time.

Here is part of it:

1. Did you date someone from your school? Yes. Nelson and Keith

2. Did you marry someone from your high school? Nope. I married an Irish-Peruvian boy from the Rio Grande Valley.

3. Did you car pool to School? Not usually. We just lived a few blocks away. Mom generally took me.

4. What kind of car did you have? Mom had a cream colored Malibu Classic that I was occasionally fortunate enough to borrow.

5. It is Friday night then; where are you? In full Planoette uniform in the drill team section of the stands, watching the Cardiac 'Cats charge on to victory. We played in the state championship game my junior year two days before Christmas, but lost to Houston's Stratford High School where a young Craig James was playing his senior season before going on to SMU to team up with Eric Dickerson. They both went on to play in the NFL. If you HAVE to be beaten, at least be beaten by the BEST!

6. It is Friday night now, where are you? At home with Studly Man and our furry four-legged children.

8. What kind of job did you have in high school? Cashier at Pitman Corner Shell. Did my homework in the kiosk most nights while the guys cleaned out the carwash.

9. Were you a party animal? Not really. My friends weren't really the "party crowd."

10. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? Was in choir my freshman through junior years, but had to give it up senior year.

11. Were you a nerd? Probably. Following in the footsteps of my sister, the valedictorian, grades were a big deal.

12. Did you get suspended or expelled? Nope.

13. Can you sing the school song? Dear Plano High School, Hats off to you. 'Ever you'll find us loyal and true (true, true, true). Firm and undaunted, always we will be, Hail to dear Plano HIGH SCHOOL, we love you! Required to learn that AND sing it at every football and basketball game.

14. Who was your favorite teacher? Mama Mac. (Phyllis McNeill, drill team sponsor) She was one of the last really good teachers who knew that expecting a lot from us and refusing to accept less than our very best would serve us well. She was never afraid to "tell it like it is," even if our feelings might get hurt. Many of the things she taught us still bounce around in my head.

15. Where did you sit during lunch? Either in subschool area C or Taco DeLite

16. When did you graduate? 1980. We were 80 Ladies

17. What was your school mascot? Wildcats. Maroon and white.

18. If you could go back and do it again - what would you do? Realize the people whose approval I desperately wanted are really sad, unfulfilled people in their adult lives. Wouldn't take things so seriously.

19. Did you go to the Prom? Went long enough to have our pictures made and make sure all the "friends" saw us arrive in our chauffeur driven Rolls Royce, which belonged to and was driven by Keith's brother-in-law. Keith couldn't afford to rent a limo like other guys were doing, so his BIL offered to take us in the Rolls. We were the envy of all (and no one knew he hadn't rented it). After that, we went to a fish fry with some of his friends (he and his crowd were three years older).

20. Do you still talk to the person you went to the prom with? Yep. Saw him (and his sweet wife and two children) at his nephew's wedding a few weeks ago. His sister is my best friend of 30 years.

21. Do you still talk to people from your school? Very few. Mostly people who also went to my church then and are friends of the family.


Interesting that life has changed so very much and not very much at all, both at the same time. I'm certainly older and hopefully wiser. I don't take things (people) so seriously now, and I am so secure in who I am and Whose I am.

Just for fun, tell me some of your favorite high school memories or better yet, copy and paste this meme and answer it on YOUR blog!

No comments: